Tuesday 8 May 2012


Grammar
I have noticed on various forums and social sites the poor grammar from some of the English people I know, am acquainted with and just do not know.
The one word that seems to be overused in the wrong context is ‘of’ – ie: “I am fed up of the weather.”   “I would of taken the short route” “you could of told me earlier” &etc. the ‘of’ word seems to have taken place of ‘with’ and ‘have’…. Now I also noticed that most of the offenders are under 40 years old, so have deduced that it is either the fault of the education authorities dumbing down their English lessons and examinations, or the dumbing down of the spoken word. I must admit I enjoy the English language and have always tried to ensure that my spelling and grammar is correct – possibly to do with my strict teachers!
Oh dear, when I wrote the above I was, as you can imagine, quite appalled with the English education system (or even ‘of’ the Education system).
But progressing from the above, I have, since, seen Mr Sarkosy depart from the offices of French presidency and Mr Hollande arrive to take his place. Heavens knows what will happen to la belle France, I wait with baited breath.
Will I have to move back to the UK or stick it out in the country I have come to love??
Meantime, reading the news from the UK I have been absolutely appalled at some things that have been happening. Young girls ‘groomed’ by Asian men for their sexual needs… Why, oh why is this happening?  We have reports of ladies in their 90’s brutally attacked. How and why has this dis-order occurred over the last few years?
I do love the country of my birth but I cannot understand how it has changed so much. Is it just the press reporting on the worst? Surely there are good things that happen so what has happened to the feel-good factor?  
Why should the worst of the world be reported to the expense of the good.
I see TV programmes  like ‘Rip off Britain’  ‘Watchdog’ etc… they are always knocking the country – and are  too negative. There do not seem to be programmes that are positive about Britain which is such a shame.
It is also the same with the British press. Why are the English/British continually knocking the country they are living in?
I just cannot understand it.
Young TJ is now in a hospital nearer his home, he is on the mend at last..... There are other things going on, will tell all later.

And why has the blogger layout been changed.... might have to move elsewhere!

4 comments:

  1. Nothing like a good rant to make one feel better, Trisha! :-) I'm with you on the sloppy grammar and the constant reporting of bad news. Dreadful things have always happened but in the past we didn't write or read about it. I think the belief is that good news is boring and doesn't sell papers.

    Good news about T J. I'm so pleased for you all. Another bit of good news is that you can still get back from the dreadful new interface to the old Blogger for the moment. On your new dashboard click on the cogwheel icon in the top right corner and on the drop-down menu select 'Old Blogger interface'. That should get you straight back to the familiar dashboard.

    If they don't improve the new one before making us use it permanently, I may well move to WordPress....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news that TJ is home and on the mend. As for the news on television -- I don't know if the times have changed and the crimes are new or if people are more forthcoming about the horrific crimes that take place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By coincidence I had been ranting on my blog about grammar (or its misuse) just before reading this!

    Glad to hear TJ is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good news about TJ....and how I agree with you about sloppy use of English.
    I no longer recognise the country in which I grew up from the press....but visiting mother shows it to be much the same as it was. Perpetua's right, good news doesn't sell papers.

    ReplyDelete